Back to the Bar is a comprehensive program that provides training in practical legal skills, career-related workshops, and the opportunity to network with similarly situated individuals and members of the local legal community.
Participants who complete the Back to the Bar program can expect to receive:
- 10-12 CLE hours in areas relevant to a returning attorney;
- Presentation by iRelaunch co-founder Carol Fishman Cohen;
- Guidance and workshops on creating a resume and cover letter;
- Presentations on interviewing techniques and opportunities to practice, including through mock interviews;
- Instruction by a leading expert in social media;
- Primers on online legal research and current software used in the legal profession;
- Panel presentations on civic and bar association involvement and career re-entry options;
- Assistance from legal writing experts in creating an effective writing sample;
- A mentor in the legal community who can provide guidance;
- Networking opportunities in the legal community; and
- A one-year membership in the Allegheny County Bar Association.
The Back to the Bar program will be held two days per week over three consecutive weeks to allow time for reflection, preparation and the completion of “homework” between sessions (e.g. creating a resume and writing sample). Program sessions will be held generally between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. To the extent there is interest among participants, tours of the Allegheny County law library and the federal and state courthouses may be available before one of the regularly scheduled sessions. In addition, the last day of the program will culminate in a networking event for participants and members of the ACBA. As such, the session on that day is scheduled to begin mid-morning and to conclude following the evening reception.
The dates of the 2013 program are:
|Tuesday, September 24||Thursday, September 26|
|Tuesday, October 1||Thursday, October 3|
|Tuesday, October 8||Thursday, October 10|
Program dates and times may be subject to slight changes but we will endeavor to keep the final program schedule as close as possible to what appears here.
All program sessions will be held in downtown Pittsburgh. A majority of the sessions will be held in the ACBA conference space on the 9th Floor of the City-County Building (414 Grant Street). The group will move to other venues downtown, including the ACBA offices on the 4th Floor of the Koppers Building (436 Seventh Avenue), the Federal Courthouse (700 Grant Street), and the Rivers Club (301 Grant Street). Additionally, tours of the County law library and the federal and state courthouses may be available.
The cost of the Back to the Bar program is $395. Existing members of the ACBA who submit an application online by June 30, 2013 and are accepted into the program will pay a discounted price of $350. See Application Process for more details.