Back to the Bar Program
Back to the Bar is designed to provide lawyers looking to re-enter the legal marketplace with the skills needed to position themselves for success.
Returning to the legal profession or the professional world after an extended leave presents unique challenges and may seem daunting. The Back to the Bar program was created by the ACBA to offer meaningful help to ease the transition for experienced attorneys who have left the legal profession, for whatever reason, and wish to return. The program was created with the input of practicing attorneys, attorneys using their legal background or degree in non-traditional careers, career services personnel and faculty from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and Duquesne University School of Law and attorneys currently seeking to return to the legal profession. Back to the Bar is the first program of its kind being offered by a metropolitan bar association.
Is Back to the Bar Right for You?
To determine whether Back to the Bar may be right for you, consider the following:
- Are you an attorney who has taken a leave from the practice of law for a year or longer after practicing for some time or otherwise using your legal degree in a professional capacity?
- Would you like to return to the practice of law or find an alternative use for your law degree in the near future but are not sure how or where to begin?
- Would you like to refresh your legal skills by learning and practicing online legal research and developing a current writing sample?
- Would you like help developing a resume that favorably reflects your time spent away from the legal profession and captures your non-legal accomplishments during that time? Could you benefit from the opportunity to practice your interviewing skills?
- Would you like to make connections with others who are or are similarly situated and have opportunities to network with practicing members of the legal community?
If you answered “yes” to any of the preceding questions, Back to the Bar just may be the program you need to support you as you position yourself to re-enter the legal profession.